Funding Cyrus High Availability

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Mon Sep 20 07:38:19 EDT 2004

David Lang wrote:
> currently we have murder which will spread the load across multiple
> machines.
> currently we have many tools available to detect a server failure and
> run local scripts to reconfigure machines (HACMP on AIX, hearbeat for
> Linux, *BSD, Solaris, etc)
> what we currently do not have is any ability to have one mailstore
> updated to match changes in another one.
I don't think that it would be a good idea to just solve the
replication, without the failover function.

What is in my mind is a setup, which has mailboxes defined to a given
machine (eg. with murder in front of them) and one or more additional
servers which also have those mailboxes' replicas.

The best would be that a mailbox could be set master or slave, so an
IMAP backend could function as the backup of the other one(s), without
adding hardware which are used only 2 times a year.

> I also would not be really satisfied with interval synchronisation as
> the only choice.
I guess in the enterprise era high availability doesn't mean that if one
of your mail backends go down you can serve the customers his/her
yesterday's messages, so this periodic sync won't really help.
One could do this already with good scripting capabilities...

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy at fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)           phone @work: +361 371 3536