Funding Cyrus High Availability

Earl R Shannon ershanno at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Sep 17 08:39:13 EDT 2004

Hello,

All that you say is true. But for performance one either
buys bigger and better or multiple machines to spread the
load. Murder allows one to buy multiple machines.

All I am saying is that improving perforance may already
be done. I believe redundancy in the application is more
important at this point.

Regards,
Earl Shannon

Michael Loftis wrote:

> --On Thursday, September 16, 2004 22:14 -0400 Earl Shannon
> <Earl_Shannon at ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>>> Question:   Are people looking at this as both redundancy and
>>> performance, or just redundance?
>>

>> My $0.02 worth. Performance gains can be found the traditional way, ie,
>> faster hardware, etc.Our biggest need is for redundance. If something
>> goes wrong on one machine we still need to be able to let users use
>> email.
>

> Cyrus already has this solved via MURDER, but FWIW, more smaller boxes
> isolate failures more effectively than one big box, also
> price/performance is still better at a certain size for any platform,
> and going up higher on the performance curve has HUGE price jumps.
>
> There's also the cost of administering multiple separate boxes to think
> about but carefully planned, this can be managed rather easily.
>
> The whole 'throw bigger and bigger boxen' at it method of 'scaling'
> doesn't scale.  You hit the wall.  One box can only do so much, granted
> you can spend LOTS of money and get pretty big boxes, but at some point
> it becomes ludicrous -- who would use a Sun E10k/E15k and a whole
> Symmetrix DMX for just mail?  (and I'm excluding companies like AOL and
> IBM who actually can afford it and would maybe have a reason to scale to
> that size)...
>
> Price/Performance has a curve associated with it, most of us can't
> afford to always stay at the top end of the curve, and have to be at the
> middle. Further, does it make sense to re-invest in equipment every year
> to maintain growth?  No, you should be able to expand, add another box,
> or two, and that scales fairly well.  Better than the single big box
> approach.
>

> ---

Systems Programmer ,Information Technology Division
NC State University.
http://www.earl.ncsu.edu

Anonymous child "Some people can tell the time by looking at the sun,
		 but I have trouble seeing the numbers."