Funding Cyrus High Availability

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Mon Sep 20 13:07:23 EDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Paul Dekkers wrote:

> David Carter wrote:
>
>>> 5. Active/Active
>>>
>>> designate one of the boxes as primary and identify all items in the
>>> datastore that absolutly must not be subject to race conditions between
>>> the two boxes (message UUID for example). In addition to implementing
>>> the replication needed for #1 modify all functions that need to update
>>> these critical pieces of data to update them on the master and let the
>>> master update the other box.
>>
>> We may be talking at cross purposes (and its entirely likely that I've
>> got the wrong end of the stick!), but I consider active-active to be
>> the case where there is no primary: users can make changes to either
>> system, and if the two systems lose touch with each other they have
>> to resolve their differences when contact is reestablished.
>
> I'd go for #5 as well:
> Since this is a setup where there is no primary at all, I suppose this is
> quite some different design then the #1-4 solutions. And because of that, I
> would think that it's rather useless to have these steps done in order to get
> #5 right, but I might as well be wrong.

actually I think most of the work nessasary for #1 is also needed for
#5-6.

for #1 you need to have the ability for a system report all it's changes
to a daemon and the ability for a system to read in changes and implement
them. #5 needs the same abilities plus the ability to resolve conflicts.

the HA steps of #2 and #4 don't gain that much, but they can also be done
external to cyrus so it's not a problem to skip them.

#3 involves changes to the update code to have cyrus take special actions
with soem types of updates. there would need to be changes in the same
area for #5, but they would be different.

David Lang

  -- C.A.R. Hoare