IOERROR Cannot create anymore mailboxes

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Sep 15 16:48:34 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 03:41:56PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Boyle, Bernadette wrote:
> >
> >I receive the following error when trying to create new accounts ...
> >
> >Sep 15 19:05:16 sparrow imapd[7843]: [ID 721126 local6.error] IOERROR:
> >creating directory /var/spool/cyrus1/user/jsnadd11: Too many links

This is certainly a result of the UFS limit of 32767 links to a
directory.  Interposing hash directories is the usual solution.
Cyrus provides this facility.  It should also improve performance.
It's possible to convert unhashed directories into hashed ones,
with the rehash script, but it will have to be done with the IMAP
server shut down.