Creating Duplicate mail box.

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Thu Sep 16 00:30:52 EDT 2004

> Hi all,
>

> I am using cyrus IMAP for my mail server with auto create folder
> option. For some mailbox it automatically creates two mailboxes one
> with upper case and one with lower case letter.
>
> For testuser mailbox. I have
>
> t/user/testuser
> t/user/TESTUSER
>

> 1. How will I force incoming mails to lowercase mailbox?

Hi,

First, you should put 'lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes' into /etc/imapd.conf. This
will do the job for mail delivered to cyrus-imapd. Then, people may
possibly still be able to access their mailbox with uppercase usernames if
you are using ldap with pam for example. If that's the case the mailbox
will be created with upper case on the fly. To prevent from that, I have
made a pam module to deny upper case usernames, look here
http://freshmeat.net/projects/pam_deny_uc/
To use it, I have put this into the relevant pam config files:
auth        requisite     /lib/security/pam_deny_uc.so

Let me know how it goes.
Simon