Cyrus and Samba

David Base base_david at bah.com
Wed Sep 22 07:51:57 EDT 2004

I tried doing something similar to this using Sharity instead of Samba (SMBclient
is not available in Solaris), i.e., mounting a shared Windows 2000 folder via NFS
on a Solaris box.  The mount part worked fine, but Cyrus wouldn't write to the
Windows NTFS file system.  Logged messages like "Invalid mailbox type".
Apparently Cyrus need unix semantics, mmap, etc.

I do have two sendmail/cyrus boxes delivering mail to one Solaris mail store shared
via NFS to the two sendmail/cyrus boxes.  I have read that Cyrus over NFS can be
unreliable, but it's working on a small scale in the lab.  The db stuff has to
remain local to each sendmail/cyrus box, and you are right, they do get out of sync
with each other, specifically the *.seen and *.sub files.  If anyone has ideas for
mirroring the two please share.

Our next step is to try putting a SAN behind the Solaris mail store via iSCSI and
serve a SAN file system via NFS to the two sendmail/cyrus boxes.  I fear we'll have
file system type issues again with this, but I'll let you know.

Dave Base