Insert artificial delay into IMAP server responses (to workaround OL2002)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Oct 28 20:24:15 EDT 2004

On Apr 13, 2004, at 11:44, Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> wrote:

> Doug Koobs wrote:
> > After some more research, and some emails exchanges from others that
> > have been troubleshooting OL2002's IMAP problems, I think I have a
> > better idea of what the problem. It seems that Outlook can't handle
> It
> > just ignores them. I found a post where one admin had inserted an
> > artificial delay (10-20 microseconds) to all IMAP responses sent by
> > Cyrus, and claimed this made a huge improvement.
> >
> > I know this is a kludgy work-around, but at this point it's better
> that
> > nothing. Can anyone point me in the right direction to accomplish
> this?
> > I'm hoping there's just a configuration parameter I can add
> somewhere...
>
> You're right, this is a hack.  Its funny that the problem is that the
> server is "too fast".  Where have you ever heard that before?
>
> There is no config parameter.  Probably the easiest place to do this
> would be in the prot layer (lib/prot.c), but you *may* have to do it on
> a per command/response basis, which means touching a lot of code in
> imapd.c and index.c

(thread from a while ago...)

After not being able to solve Outlook problems otherwise I decided to
try this ugly hack, and so far it seems to be working.

I put a patch up if anybody want/needs to try it:

http://bfccomputing.com/downloads/apps/cyrus/cyrus-delay/cyrus-
delay.1.patch

This is just a plain source patch.  No --with-ugly-outlook-hack or
anything.

There's no client checking here so *all* of your users will suffer a
20msec delay for each IMAP command whether they run a broken client or
not.

Any feedback appreciated.

-Bill
------