Auto Create Quota

Richard Gilbert R.Gilbert at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Oct 19 08:26:28 EDT 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Rob Siemborski wrote:

> > On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Timo Veith wrote:
> >
> > is MS Outlook or OE or any other MUA able to create the mailbox
> > and if yes how?
>
> Able to?  Sure.  Implemented?  Not likely.
>
> autocreatequota was mostly a hack that CMU used to allow users to
> transition themselves from our legacy mail system to Cyrus many years
> ago.  To do so, we had a special client that did the create (and copied
> the mail) for the users.

I have stumbled on the fact that a user can create a mailbox automatically
using Outlook Express (version 6).  Authentication succeeded because the
user was in the LDAP directory which we use.  Outlook Express checked for
the existence of the mailbox and then proceeded to create the INBOX, and
folders Drafts and Sent Items, using IMAP create commands.  The mailbox
was created without a quota because autocreatequota was not set in
imapd.conf.

This is undesirable for us and I have stopped it happenning by changing
the authentication to only succeed if the user has the appropriate
mailHost attribute in the LDAP directory (which is set by the IMAP account
creation procedure).

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services