Long startup time (1h 30m)

Dennis Sjogren dempa at du.se
Thu Oct 7 05:36:53 EDT 2004

Greetings!

We've been running the Cyrus IMAP server for couple of months now. Apart
from the server experiencing high load (we'll throw money at it and see
what happens) from time to time, it's mostly been smooth sailing.

However, one thing is a bit worrying. Startup of the Cyrus software
takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes. For some reason, email services seems
important to our users. :) Anyway, as any organization, we try to
minimize downtime in core services as much as possible, but this long
startup time really makes that difficult.

I've googled ALOT, and found some users with similar problems or worse.
Some guy had a startup time of 4 hours! However, no real solution has
emerged. The wiki suggests checkpointing more often, but we already do
that every 10 minutes. Shouldn't that be enough?

Any suggestions, ideas, comments would be appreciated. Developers
comments? Here are our specs:

HOST: Sun Sunfire V240
CPU:  2 x 1.2GHz
MEM:  2GB (will be upgraded to 4GB asap)
DISK: (db) 2 x 10k RPM, internal, mirrored, UFS, nologging
DISK: (spool) SAN (6120-system)

Cyrus v2.2.5, BerkelyDB 4.2 + default patches
Everything compiled with GCC 3.4.0
mailboxes.db about 10MB
deliver.db about 18MB
About 10k users on system, unknown number of mailboxes, though about 4M
inodes are used on /var/spool/imap.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Dennis "Dempa" Sjogren