Recovering an email

Christopher Paluch chris.paluch at posnetservices.com
Thu Oct 7 16:32:45 EDT 2004

I have a user who deleted an email and then cleared their Trash folder,
but of course would like it back now.

Every night I stop Cyrus, and perform a tar of /var/spool/imap.  What I
tried to do was I created a new user and then I restored the users files
into this new user's directory.  I did this while I had Cyrus stopped.
I then started Cyrus and tried to access this new user's mail folder.
All I found were several empty emails and a half dozen unread emails,
none of the ones I was looking for and no folders.  I also noticed some
of the files I had restored were now gone.  I then stopped Cyrus again,
performed the restore again, and then ran "reconstruct -r newusername".
It completed and I then started Cyrus back up.
Now when I access the new user, it shows nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?  Thanks.