Around murder : Architecture considerations

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Fri Oct 15 03:18:03 EDT 2004

LaurentG wrote:
> 3 frontends with 5Gb of RAM (authenticating against LDAP)
I don't think that amount of memory will be needed, but if so, consider
using either only 4 GBs or a 64 bit machine (for example Opteron if you
want to go with the cheapest alternative).

PAE can slow things down, reportedly.

> I've few questions around that :
> *Replication/backup* :
>    What would be your advice for backing up mailboxes? The solution from
> Cambrige University
> (http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/replication.html
> <http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/%7Edpc22/cyrus/replication.html> )seems
> attractive, but hasn't been implemented (yet?) into Cyrus. Today what do
> you use in production?  RAID?  0+1?
There were some posts in this topic last month :)
Even one, which popped up the idea that it would be nice to donate some
money to the developers to implement this feature, but it seems that it
has died :(

> *Webmail*
> I'm about to use Horde2/IMP3, and will store sessions in MySQL settled
> on the mupdate server.
> Webmail will probably be installed on each frontend.
> Any problem with that?
Although we did't have so much users, Horde worked well. We have used
pound in front of the webmail frontends to give load balancing and failover.
I can strongly recommend a PHP optimized for that load (turck-mmcache
and zend optimizer comes into mind).

> *Sieve*
> Any preconized client for sieve? Websieve? Any other? (until
> Horde3.0/Ingo become stable).
We have used ingo. There were no problems with that.

> What else ... any use of proxying IMAP?
That's what frontends are for, no?

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy at fsn.hu