2.2.8 vs. 2.1.15: different process spawning behavior?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Sun Oct 17 06:55:34 EDT 2004

Hi Henrique,

thanks for your reply.

-- Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org> is rumored to have mumbled
on Sonntag, 17. Oktober 2004 0:31 Uhr -0300 regarding Re: 2.2.8 vs. 2.1.15:
different process spawning behavior?:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
>> > Formerly this would mean that there were 100 processes max, but the
>> > actual number would fluctuate quite a bit. When any given process had
>> > been idle for too long, master would kill it. Now it seems as though
>> > processes that are spawned stick around indefinitely.
>
> This sounds like what you get when you use the -T <timeout> options on the
> services...  Or when you use -U <max uses>.

I'm not familiar with those parameters. All I did was:

  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=10
maxchild=100

> Anyway, just set -T and -U to sensible values for every service in
> cyrus.conf, and you will get the variable number of processes back.

How do I do that? I can't find anything about those parameters in the
cyrus.conf manpage. Oh, this is a parameter for lmtpd, right? So you say I
should do it like this:

  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd -U 100 -T 60" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp"
prefork=10 maxchild=100

I'll give that a try, thanks.

What I don't get is that the lmtpd manpage claims "-T 60" to be the default

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK