2.2.8 vs. 2.1.15: different process spawning behavior?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 21 22:46:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> --On Sonntag, 17. Oktober 2004 15:30 Uhr +0200 Simon Matter
> <simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com> wrote:
>
>> Did you try running with the default cyrus.conf just to see how it goes?
>> With the following line I get exactly 2 lmtpd running until mail arrives.
>
> That's not the issue. What seems to be different is the behavior once the
> number of processes has increased. In the meantime I have observed that
> eventually the number of processes *does* decrease again, but generally they
> seem to stick around much longer than they used to. I've looked at the source
> and don't see any reason why ... it doesn't bother me too much, though ;-)

At what rate are your messages arriving?

I seem to recall that we made a change at one point that affected IMAPd
whereby connections that used to fatal() unnecessaraly no longer did
(i.e. they exited when a connection was broken but not in the middle of a
command).  I can't find that we made a similar change to lmtpd, however..

Its entirely possible that the lmtpds are just getting reused often enough
that they don't time out.

-Rob