2.2.8 vs. 2.1.15: different process spawning behavior?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Oct 29 04:39:38 EDT 2004

--On Donnerstag, 21. Oktober 2004 22:46 Uhr -0400 Rob Siemborski
<rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>> That's not the issue. What seems to be different is the behavior once
>> the  number of processes has increased. In the meantime I have observed
>> that  eventually the number of processes *does* decrease again, but
>> generally they  seem to stick around much longer than they used to. I've
>> looked at the source  and don't see any reason why ... it doesn't bother
>> me too much, though ;-)
>
> At what rate are your messages arriving?
>
> I seem to recall that we made a change at one point that affected IMAPd
> whereby connections that used to fatal() unnecessaraly no longer did
> (i.e. they exited when a connection was broken but not in the middle of a
> command).  I can't find that we made a similar change to lmtpd, however..
>
> Its entirely possible that the lmtpds are just getting reused often
> enough that they don't time out.

It seems that way, although the process spawning *feels* different somehow
:-) That's not a very scientific observation, I know ... Anyway, the
process count does vary after all, so I guess everything is OK.

Thanks, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK