Quota inconsistency...

Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Mon Oct 18 15:20:08 EDT 2004

We have a user that was reporting that she was way *way* over her quota.
She was alotted only 100MB, and for some reason, she was showing that she
was using over 400MB of space on her IMAP account!  Furthermore, looking
at actual disk space consumption, she waas actually only using 261KB,
which is barely anything at all.

I have yet to figure out a "good way" to fix this discrepancy.  I thought
that maybe doing a recursive reconstruct on her account would maybe sync
up her quota entry to what was actually in use.  Nope.  I thought that the
quota command would be able to do something with it, again nope, unless I
am just missing an option somwehere.  I even used cyradm to do a "setquota"
on the user to see if it would fix it, and again it did not.

I editted the file (we are using legacy file format, which is plain text)
manually and removed a couple digits.  This brought her down to about 41MB
of disk space used, and thus 41% of her quota.  This gets her working, but
I still can't find a way to have the server re-figure out how much she is
actually using and write that to the file.

I finally just deleted the quota file altogether and used cyradm to create
it again using "setquota".  Well, it created a new quota file for her, but
now it shows her sitting at 0KB used out of 100MB, so it is still not right.

Other than doing a "du" on her disk space and manually typing in the value
in the quota file, what should I be doing?

Thanks,
Scott
      Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
   UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss at ohio.edu
        ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
     PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/