Quota inconsistency...

Jure Pe_ar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Wed Oct 20 04:02:58 EDT 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:20:08 -0400
Scott Adkins <adkinss at ohio.edu> wrote:

> We have a user that was reporting that she was way *way* over her quota.
> She was alotted only 100MB, and for some reason, she was showing that she
> was using over 400MB of space on her IMAP account!  Furthermore, looking
> at actual disk space consumption, she waas actually only using 261KB,
> which is barely anything at all.

Can confirm this on 2.2.6 and 2.2.8. My quota fixing script ran over our
tree tonight and found mailboxes as large as 900mb (our quotas are 10mb by
default). Looks like for these quota was not being updated at all.
I also have many situations where user complains about being 10 times over
quota while they just deleted all their unneeded mail ..

> I have yet to figure out a "good way" to fix this discrepancy.  I thought
> that maybe doing a recursive reconstruct on her account would maybe sync
> up her quota entry to what was actually in use.  Nope.  I thought that the
> quota command would be able to do something with it, again nope, unless I
> am just missing an option somwehere.  I even used cyradm to do a
> "setquota" on the user to see if it would fix it, and again it did not.

I use a shell script that rewrites the quota files. Altough i have no idea
why cyrus doesnt like to modify them on its own. Permissions are ok ...

I first noticed this quota issue a while ago running quota -f -d. After that
some quotas were really off ...

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/