missing emails

Kees Stoop kees.stoop at opticon.com
Tue Oct 19 14:31:20 EDT 2004

>>I have a very strange problem with cyrus imapd in combination with
>>outlook (office XP version).
>>When a user contacts our imap server from Japan, he can only see approx.
>>half the emails. However when he contacts the server from within our
>>office in The Netherlands, all emails are visible. There does not seem
>>to be a pattern in the emails that can be accessed: I checked for the
>>size of the missing emails, HTML/Plain text messages, but it seems to me
>>that it is really random whether a mail can be accessed or not. Since
>>the mails are received by the server, I suspect outlook,  but why should
>>outlook work from within our office and not in Japan?
>>
>>I am using cyrus-imapd-2.2.3-11 on fedora core2
>>The user that has the problems uses a Japanese version of windows XP and
>>the office XP version of outlook. (both in Japan and in our office)
>>

>Certainly different versions of MS Office / Outlook XP. Latest SP
>installed? Did you check the knowledgebase? IMHO this is a known problem
>(reports running dovecot too). Good time and reason to switch over using
>a more secure and proper functioning email client ;)
>
>Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your reply.
I just checked the endless list of bugs and security issues, and there
is a fair change that one of the million issues causes the problems that
we have. I will instruct all our users to install the latest office
service pack and then cross my fingers and hope that the problem is solved.

I wish I could force people to switch to another email client, but this
is beyond my responsibility. Nevertheless, I convinced some 75% of our
employees to use an open source email client. Next step is the
introduction of an open source office package...;)

Kees.