lmtpunix - strange log entries

Per Steinar Iversen PerSteinar.Iversen at adm.hio.no
Thu Oct 21 09:23:13 EDT 2004

I have noticed a small fraction of lmtpunix log-entries containing control
characters, a sample from lmtpunix at debug level:

Oct 21 15:02:07 imap lmtpunix[21111]: duplicate_check: M-mZ-C^CqM-QsM-tS^AM-x]M-lM-XM-^V                         aslaug               1098965023

The line has been filtered through "cat -v".

At the loglevels above this the message delivery looks ok.

It is rare to find control characters in the syslog - does this indicate a
problem somewhere?

Our system is running on RedHat AS3 U3, the Cyrus imapd RPM is
cyrus-imapd-2.2.8-1 from Simon Matter.

-psi