[patch] Sieve MAIL FROM address in vacation and redirection messages

Matt Bernstein mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 04:11:20 EDT 2004

On Oct 22 Andre Nathan wrote:

> I sent this to the -devel list a few days ago, but didn't get
> feedback...

Please do not apply this patch; it could cause headaches.

> Currently, sieve sends redirection messages without touching the "MAIL
> FROM" envelope address. For vacation messages, the address is always set
> as the null sender ("<>").

This is correct behaviour. The envelope sender address should be thought
of as an "errors-to" address.

> This behaviour makes it impossible for mail accounting systems to deal
> with those sieve messages, because they would have no information about
> which user is doing the redirection or auto-response on the MTA logs.

That may be true, but a better solution might be either to encode this
information somewhere else that the MTA can log (such as the Message-ID),
or for Sieve to log it separately.

> This patch adds the "sievemailfromasuser" to imapd.conf which allows
> cyrus to use the email address of the user the message is being sent on
> behalf of as the MAIL FROM address, for redirect and vacation.

I think that this can create the possibility of mail loops.

Sorry to be such a grump!

Matt