postfix to cyrus-imap via lmtp?

Adi Linden adil at adis.on.ca
Sat Oct 23 00:55:50 EDT 2004

>  > I am having great difficulties getting postfix to use lmtp.
>  > Things are working if I use deliver:
>
> Pardon my asking, but I'm just now learning how to use Cyrus and am
> about to set Postfix to send to it. If it is working to use deliver,
> why do you want to use lmtp? Is there some advantage to using lmtp
> over deliver? I'd just like to know which one would be best to go with.

The way I understand the process, deliver is a redundant step if the MTA
supports lmtp. With deliver the path is:

    postfix   <pipe>   deliver   <lmtp>   cyrus

Without deliver it is:

    postfix   <lmtp>   cyrus

For what it's worth, as Simon Matter pointed out, lmtp didn't work because
I had multiple version and builds of cyrus-sasl on the system. Instead of
patching and building cyrus-sasl, I am using saslauthd and pam-mysql to
authenticate users. This is working quite well and ironed out the postfix
bugs I had.

Adi