how to create user@primary.com as user login name?

sam wun sam.wun at authtec.net
Sat Oct 23 21:22:46 EDT 2004

sam wun wrote:

> Adi Linden wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sounds like you are having the same problem I have come across. In
>> imapd.conf your have on 'virtdomans: yes' and 'defaultdomain:
>> primary.com'.
>>
>> If you have user at primary.com as username in your user databse you cannot
>> login with user or user at primary.com. But if you have user as username in
>> your databse you can login with both user and user at primary.com.
>>
>> I think this is the way cyrus-imap is supposed to behave. It allows
>> migration from 'virtdomans: no' to 'virtdomans: yes'. I've had this
>> discussion yesterday :)
>>
>> <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=32119>
>>
>> <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=32126>
>>
>> <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=32127>
>>

> I have another solution to solve the problem, but not sure right or not.
> Since only user in default domain can't use domain name as their login
> name, I changed defaultdomain to "localhost".
> Now all other domains are treated as non-default domain.
> Surely all users in non-default domains are able to use fqdn login id
> (user at domain.com) for authentication.
>
> The following is user adam.wonder at mydomain.com being added to the
> cyrus db:
> # cyradm -u cyrus --server localhost
> IMAP Password:
>              localhost.mydomain.com> lm
> user/adam.wonder/Drafts at mydomain.com (\HasNoChildren)
> user/adam.wonder/Sent at mydomain.com (\HasNoChildren)
> user/adam.wonder/Trash at mydomain.com (\HasNoChildren)
> user/adam.wonder at mydomain.com (\HasChildren)
> Is this sound right?

With "defaultdomain: localhost" defined in the imapd.conf file, it
doesn't solve the problem for authenticate smtp. In the Outgoing Server
dialog box in Mozilla mail client, I have the check-box of User name and
password checked and type in user name adam.wonder at mydomain.com, but
authtentication failed when sending email. Only adam.wonder is able to
authenticate. But authentication with Cyrus-imapd(2.2) must use
adam.wonder at mydomain.com and it is successfuly. Seems inconsisitent.

what''s wrong with this?

Thanks
Sam