pasword in 110 and 143 is in clear text

Kees Stoop kees.stoop at opticon.com
Sun Oct 24 15:45:26 EDT 2004

sam wun wrote:

> Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>

>> the most basic setting is
>>
>> allowplaintext: no
>>
>> in /etc/imapd.conf.
>

> Hi,
>
> After added the above option in impad.conf file, imap/pop3 login failed.
> This because the server only provide plain text login I think.
> What should configure cyrus-imapd so that I can use this option to
> authenticate with mail client?
>
> Thanks
> Sam
>
> ---

Hi Sam,

I think the most simple way of setting up your server with encrypted
passwords is by using (as already suggested):

tls_ca_path:        /etc/ssl/certs
tls_cert_file:      /etc/ssl/cyrus/mail.crt
tls_key_file:       /etc/ssl/cyrus/mail.key

But when you do this, you must of course create the certificate and the
key in the configured directories.  When you google for self signed
certificates, you will find lots of info. Also make sure that you give
the certficate enough rights, in order for the cyrus server to read it.
I am not sure if the certificate must be owned by cyrus, or that you can
change the group to cyrus (and make it group readable)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Kees