IMAP works, POP doesn't. Why?

Kevin cyrus at gnosys.biz
Wed Oct 27 15:19:35 EDT 2004

Hi List-

First, thanks to whomever fixed anonymous access to the info-cyrus IMAP
archive folder.  I can now access the archive in my imap client (whereas
I counldn't just a couple of days ago) and it's Sooooo much more
convenient to review the archives this way than by a web page.  Many
thanks for that.

My question is pretty much what I've written in the subject line.

I'm using all the latest software (cyrus-imapd, cyrus-sasl, openldap)
and I've used ldapdb.c distributed with OpenLDAP to implement a LDAP
auxprop plugin for use with Cyrus.  When I make a new account in the
LDAP directory, then make a new cyrus imap account with cyradm, then use
an IMAP client to authenticate (using DIGEST-MD5) to the LDAP directory
and check mail in the cyrus imap account, everything works just
fine---as expected.  I can watch the authentication process taking place
in the logs (with lots of LDAP activity), and authentication succeeds
and I'm granted access to the imap folder (this is a virtual domain
account created with cyradm> cm user.info at example.com).

However, when I remove the account parameters from the client
configuration (I'm using Ximian Evolution) list (iow, delete the account
from Evolution, leaving the server side untouched), then recreate the
account (again in Evolution) with all the same settings except for using
the POP protocol vice IMAP as the receive mail server type, I don't seem
to be able to access the account.  As with the Evolution IMAP account
(which worked), I can watch the authentication process taking place in
the LDAP logs, and apparently, according to slapd log entries,
authentication succeeds, but then there is a final log entry:

Oct 27 14:40:05 tombstone pop3[5760]: badlogin: localhost [127.0.0.1]
DIGEST-MD5 authentication failure

I also tried (and failed with same log entry) accessing the pop3 port
using the other network interfaces, but ultimately, I'd like to have the
pop3d listen only on the loopback interface.

Thanks to Henrique's suggestion on Monday, I'm trying to use otrs
(http://www.otrs.org) and all I'm really trying to do is be able to POP
messages out of the account's imap folder into the otrs ticket queue
using otrs's PostMasterPOP3.pl, but maybe I'm being silly thinking that
one can POP any mail out of an IMAP account.  It seems otrs is most
well-suited to getting incoming mail into the ticket queue via the pop
protocol.  Does the pop3d in Cyrus look for a mbox style mail folder
in /var/spool/mail or something (as opposed to the /var/spool/imap
location)?  Or is this not possible with virtual IMAP mailboxes?
Perhaps I need to create a unix alias account (from postfix docs on
virtual accounts) to use here?

I've tried testing with pop3test and get the same results as with
Evolution, except the output on the command line is simply:

S: -ERR [AUTH] authenticating: authentication failure
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 128

Any tips would be most welcome.

TIA.