smtp auth + saslauthd + ldap

Akshay Kumar akshay at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Oct 30 02:21:54 EDT 2004

Sure you can and it makes very good sense to do it, I just set it up and
we went live today.

This is how my mail server is configured - Sendmail requires SMTP AUTH for
relaying using SASLv2(plain/login) over TLS, saslauthd uses the ldap
auth_mech to connect to ldap(bdb backend) which contains the
authentication information besides other things.

So its not sendmail thats using ldap for authentication(maps are a
different story). Sendmail uses sasl which in turn uses ldap.

You don't even need to compile sendmail w/ ldap support unless you want to
store aliases and other maps in ldap. As far as I know postfix is the only
MTA that supports ldap v3 binds.

For IMAP I am using Cyrus imapd.

My setup is probably an overkill for the 15 users I have but soo far its
been performing really well and I have had no reason to complain.

At first it was quite some work as I haven't setup mail in 3 years and the
fact that everything is in a non standard location made compiling on RH9 a
pain but it was well worth the while.

Best,
Akshay