How do I fix this: lmtp appears to be case sensitive

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Thu Oct 28 19:00:06 EDT 2004

I just put Cyrus 2.2.3 into production and got an email from a parent saying
that suddenly mail to their daughter bounces.  The bounce message is (actual
email account changed to avoid FERPA issues):

<Xxxx at linfield.edu>: host /var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp] said:
     550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
     550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User
unknown

The bottom line is that mail to xxxx gets delivered and mail to Xxxx gets
bounced.  The delivery should be case insensitive. The only parameter I see
in /etc/imapd.conf that has to do with case is username_tolower, but that
appears to have to do with user login, and in any case, it is set.  Should I
unset it?  What do I need to do?

Thanks.

--
Rob Tanner