auth against LDAP

Uli Schellhaas uli.schellhaas at leute.server.de
Fri Oct 29 04:17:25 EDT 2004

Hello,

we configured saslauthd for plaintext mechanisms (PLAIN, Login), so it can
use pam. an Pam is configured to query against a Ldap Server. If
username/password can log into the ldap Server, you are authenticated.

I think there are other ways of doing it (eg. not using pam as an extra
mechanism) but its working good!

We also only support imaps and have the ldap query ssl protected.

cyrus server is 2.0:
/etc/imapd.conf:
sasl_pwcheck_method: pam

cyrus server is 2.1 ( i think:)
/etc/imapd.conf:
sasl_mech_list: plain login
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

start saslauthd daemon with
"saslauthd -a pam"

/etc/pam.d/imap:
#%PAM-1.0
auth    sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

dont forget to edit /etc/openldap/ldap.conf or
/etc/ldap/ldap.conf, maybe your distri has it even in
/etc/pam_ldap.conf

there you can point pam_ldap to your ldap

greetings