Best route for RHEL AS 3

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue Nov 2 03:35:37 EST 2004

Hi,

--On Montag, 1. November 2004 20:00 Uhr -0600 Alex Thomas
<alex.thomas at terrabytetech.com> wrote:

> Due to benevolent university, I am about to build a cyrus-imap server on
> Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 revision 3.

that's what we are using as well.

>  Does anyone have any suggestions
> or gottchas that I should look for.

Most importantly, do yourself a favor and use Simon's RPMs:

<http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-sasl/>
<http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/>

>  Plan is to use this server to in
> addition to serving email on its own, collect email from various other
> accounts so I have one place for all my email. I want server-side
> spam-detection and virus scanning in addition to server-side mail
> sorting.

We currently use amavisd-new and miltrassassin for that, but we have
started using MIMEDefang for greylisting and are looking into using that
for everything. If I had to set up from the beginning, that's what I would
probably do. We use Sophos and ClamAV for the actual virus scanning.

>  I am MTA agnostic, but would prefer either postfix or sendmail
> as I want to change default install as little as possible.

Then go with sendmail. I decided to install sendmail 8.13.1 using the SPEC
from Fedora Core 2, but if you don't need the new features the one that
comes with RHEL 3 is fine.

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK