Cyrus 2.1.13: How to rebuild corrupt mailboxes.db

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Wed Nov 3 11:18:59 EST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 bnies at bluewin.ch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today our Cyrus IMAP server crashed and during startup it hung while executing
> ctl_cyrusdb -r. ctl_cyrusdb looped over these system calls:

The db transaction logs have some number of unclosed transactions, so what
ends up happening is ctl_cyrusdb reopens the same file again and again...
and never closes it after the transactions are replayed. I talked to our
local DB expert, and he suggested something I need to test yet which will
make this not happen in the future, but in the meantime, you either get to
delete the transaction logs and reupdate your mailboxes database from
server state, increase the file descriptor limit on ctl_cyrusdb, or hack
your bdb library to reuse a file descriptor or close it after every
transaction.