General IMAP functionality

Warrick FitzGerald subs.cyrus.wfitzgerald at crtman.com
Tue Nov 2 10:23:26 EST 2004

Posted this last night, but did not see it come through ... sorry about
the re-post if you have this already.

============

I’m in the process of moving an office of POP3 users to IMAP, and
realized that that I don’t fully understand how things normally work.

Our mail is currently hosted on an ASP basis and when a user is running
out of disk space they receive an email saying you’re running out of
space. I tested what happens on the IMAP side, and using Mozilla
Thunderbird I get a message popup saying pretty much the same thing, but
I only get this once I’ve run out of space.

   1. Can I set Cyrus to prompt when the users’ mailbox reaches 90% usage?
   2. Is it possible to email an admin account when this happens? Many
      users don’t understand how to free space on the server and need
      assistance (save the comments please J ).

Now here’s the part I don’t fully understand. As far as I can gather
you’re responsible for moving mail off the server onto you local machine
on some regular interval. Outlook seems to have this “Archiving feature”
that’s responsible for this, but I’m not sure if this is the Microsoft
way of doing things, or the right way of doing things.

I don’t seem to find an “Archive” feature in Thunderbird. What am I
missing here?

Thanks
Warrick