General IMAP functionality

Warrick FitzGerald subs.cyrus.wfitzgerald at crtman.com
Tue Nov 2 19:55:30 EST 2004

Tarjei Huse wrote:

>tir, 02,.11.2004 kl. 11.39 -0500, skrev Warrick FitzGerald:
>

>>Earl R Shannon wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Comments are imbedded below.

>>>    Yes. The server sends what the IMAP protocol calls an ALERT. The
>>>client is responsible for handling it accordingly. This usually means
>>>a POPUP. You'll need to look through the imapd.conf man page to see
>>>how its set.

>>>     No, Not with the native software. We've written a script that
>>>will go through and send a message to the user letting them know that
>>>they are filling up and generate a list of those people which then gets
>>>sent to the admins.

>>>    Yes, the user is responsible. The IMAP protocol makes not effort
>>>to make this happen. Any ARCHIVE feature such as you mention is a
>>>function of the client software.

>>>    See above. The whole point of IMAP is to store the messages
>>>on the server. Keeping below an adminstratively imposed quota is the
>>>users responsibility. Sadly, not all users are responsible. :)

>>>Another space issue that new IMAP users sometimes have difficulty with
>>>is the Trash model of deleting stuff. This is a client configurable
>>>thing so some people see it, others may not. But they move a message
>>>to Trash when they delete and don't empty the Trash. It will still use
>>>their quota.  And if they keep copies of sent messages on the Server,
>>>same deal. They use quota.
>>>
>>>Have fun.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Earl Shannon
>>>

>>Thanks Earl,
>>
>>That's what I was afraid of. Sounds to me like the people who aren't
>>going to "get" this concept should keep using POP3 :)
>>

>Or embrace the concept of IMAP =)
>
>The fact that you do not loose your mail when your disk gets lost is a
>very good reason to use IMAP - that is if you backup your server. Also,
>you can provide offsite access to mails via webmail and / or imap as
>well as provide your users with shared folders (something mine loved).
>

>>1. Does anyone have "best practices" that I can share with users on how
>>they should move mail off the server when their quota is exceeded?
>>

>I'd rather buy a bigger harddrive! How many users do you have? 50, 100, 10 000?
>

>>2. What is considered a reasonable quota (I know this is a very broad
>>question)? When working with POP3 I would allocate users a max of 50 MB,
>>when does a mailbox have so many messages that it puts a burden on the
>>server?
>>

>My users have a quota of 2 gb (2x gmail) on one site and 100 mb on another (with a select few having a quota of 500 mb).
>
>Cyrus does not have a problem with this. Reasonable quotas is something
>that IMHO is a function of your budget. It is better to keep users mail
>on the server that have them keep the mail localy.
>

>Tarjei
>

>>Thanks
>>Warrick
>>

>>---
> [...]
Great thanks that gives me a lot more confidence. I'd tested a while
back using UW Imap and have a very bad experience. I didn't have maildir
config setup and was reading 1GB of mail from one huge mail file and it
took about 20 minutes to connect every time I needed to do something. I
also could not port any of my mail and ended up trashing the lot.

If Cyrus can handle mailboxes of this size, that is certainly the
aproach I'll take. I dont have many users that will be using IMAP so
space should not be a huge problem.

Thanks
Warrick