lmtp versus deliver

Philip Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Nov 5 05:18:38 EST 2004

This is cyrus-imap.2.2.8 with exim-4.41:

I had been using lmtp to do normal deliveries but deliver to deliver to specific
folders (as for spam being diverted to a spam-folder.

I noticed in my exim logs that at busy times I was getting a few failures from the
deliver program (logged as error code 75 or 65 by exim).  Can someone tell me what
these two codes mean?

On reflection I thought that I might be able to use lmtp to deliver to specific
folders instead by using "user.folder-name at dom.ain" as the address.  I tried this
and it worked. An advantage of this is the benefit of multiple deliveries in one go.

However, I have now found a difference which it would be nice to remove:

Using deliver to deliver to "user.folder", if the folder does not exist, it delivers
to the user's inbox.  Using lmpt, if the folder does not exist, it rejects the
message.

Is it possible to get lmtp to deliver to the inbox if the specified folder does not
exist?

Phil.