logging

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Sat Nov 6 01:53:19 EST 2004

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2004, at 1:54 PM, Johan Barelds wrote:
>> Are there any plans do to a proper /var/log/
>> logging for all the actions like pop statistics, inbound, outbound
>> mail to specific mailbox, deletion of mail by mailbox users etc.etc.
>>
>> I know the /var/log/imap/log/<user> telemetrics logging but that is
>> to cryptic for me and not very usefull in day to day administration.
[...]
> Whether it's an improvement is subjective. CMU for instance wouldn't
> use such a feature.
>
> Anyway, there are no current plans to do so, but if (an optional) way
> to do so showed up we would consider including it.

I do think it would be nice if Cyrus IMAP provided an option to log folder
and message deletions, ideally with Message-Id's if that information is
indexed or easily available without affecting performance too much.  Mainly
because I have end users that from time to time manage to accidentally
delete folders or messages and then claim that our mail server "lost their
mail".  When this happens all I can really do is setup telemetry logging for
that user and tell them to let me know when it happens again, but of course
it never does.  It would be much nicer for me to be able to say "you deleted
this message at <date and time>".

Anyway, I understand that this isn't a critical feature but nevertheless I
thought I'd throw my vote in. :)