logging

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Sat Nov 6 08:00:23 EST 2004

--On 6. november 2004 00:53 -0600 Michael Sims <michaels at crye-leike.com>
wrote:
> I do think it would be nice if Cyrus IMAP provided an option to log folder
> and message deletions, ideally with Message-Id's if that information is
> indexed or easily available without affecting performance too much.
> Mainly because I have end users that from time to time manage to
> accidentally delete folders or messages and then claim that our mail
> server "lost their mail".  When this happens all I can really do is setup
> telemetry logging for that user and tell them to let me know when it
> happens again, but of course it never does.  It would be much nicer for
> me to be able to say "you deleted this message at <date and time>".
> Anyway, I understand that this isn't a critical feature but nevertheless I
> thought I'd throw my vote in. :)

Agreed. I'm not a C-programmer myself, but I'll still say that it would be
a nice feature to have. Like Michael Sims said, sometimes users delete
emails and then claim that it magically "disappeared".
Another email-software I used before logged (with message-ID) when messages
arrived, were read, deleted, moved etc. and I know from that experience
that this is a nice thing to be able to do. But of course, not everyone
needs such extensive logging so if Someone(tm) adds support for this it
should probably be left off as default for most users.

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen