defaultdomain question

Adi Linden adil at adis.on.ca
Fri Nov 5 20:27:01 EST 2004

> If I set "defaultdomain: retrix.com", the full hostname of my machine
> "strongmad.retrix.com" gets used as the default of domain. Likewise, if
> I set "defaultdomain: strongmad.retrix.com", then "retrix.com" is the
> default domain (as expanded in my database query using the %r
> variable).

>From 'man imapd.conf':

virtdomains: off
     Enable virtual domain support.  If enabled, the user's domain will
     be  determined  by  splitting a fully qualified userid at the last
     '@' or '%' symbol.  If the userid is unqualified, and the  virtdo-
     mains option is set to "on", then the domain will be determined by
     doing a reverse lookup on the IP address of the  incoming  network
     interface,  otherwise  the  user  is  assumed to be in the default
     domain (if set).

            Allowed values: off, userid, on

I suspect you have 'virtdomains: on' which means the domain for a
unqualified user is determined by reverse dns.

Adi