Cyrus + LDAP Suggestions/Help

Michael Nguyen michaeln at twentyten.org
Mon Nov 8 21:07:26 EST 2004

From: "Igor Brezac" <igor at ipass.net>
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Michael Nguyen wrote:

[snip]

> > Postfix is working such that the mail store for michaeln at test.spam is
> > /var/Accounts/m.sub/i.sub/michaeln.macnt/
>
> postfix must not be used as an MDA (mail delivery agent) when used with
> cyrus.  Setup postfix for lmtp.  See postfix docs.

Hmm....I considered doing this.  I guess I'll have to try it.

> > How do I get Cyrus to "know" what directory to look in for this user's
mail?
> > I'm looking at the imapd.conf man page and I don't see a value that
matches.

> You do not need to know this information.  Cyrus (via lmtp) will 'drop'
> messages to the appropriate location on the file system.  If you really
> want to know where the physical location of each mailbox is use 'mbpath'
> utility.  (Do not try to change user's mailbox manually because more than
> likely you will corrupt the mailbox)

Hmm...well, I probably should try it before saying anything, but my only
thought is that I wanted to control mailbox location via LDAP to facilitate
user migration (which is an inevitable issue).  This might work, but do I
have any other options?  Being able to re-route a user's mail to another
server + directory with a mere LDAP change was something that was going to
be very useful.

What happens if I were to change another attribute of the user (e.g. the
username)?  This is also a fairly common procedure.  How would that affect
delivery?  The the Postfix + LDAP delivery scheme, a user's username is
completely irrelevant.  Mail for that user goes exactly where we want it to.

All of these questions relate to support and scalability.  I sort of fear
the scenario of "Well, where did the mail go?"  "I don't know...where ever
Cyrus thought it should go."

I'll try it out and we'll see, but if there's a good answer to my concerns,
I'd love to hear them.

Michael