Cyrus + LDAP Suggestions/Help

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Tue Nov 9 17:31:58 EST 2004

Michael Nguyen wrote:
>>>How do I get Cyrus to "know" what directory to look in for this user's mail?

Cyrus doesn't use maildir, and will not store mail in a user's home
directory. It's a black box. Mine keeps all mail in /var/spool/cyrus.
Mail comes in via LMTP, gets filtered with Sieve, and goes out via IMAP
or POP. There is no support for directly accessing the message data
using programs other than cyrus, except through those protocols.

'Course, every message IS stored in a plain text file, and folder
indexes are easy to rebuild using the reconstruct tool if you need to
manually fiddle with a mailbox. Though doing this is NOT "officially
recommended," I've never had a problem doing it.

I think Courier gives you some more flexibility, and is probably easier
to get set up in the first place, and might be a decent choice if
performance is not your most important criteria. But there are some real
advantages to using Cyrus, too. The performance is very good compared to
other solutions. Sieve is very nice. Duplicate delivery suppression is
very nice, especially if you have several hundred people, all members of
multiple local lists and most of them habitually cross-posting...

--
Jules Agee
System Administrator