Cyrus + LDAP Suggestions/Help

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Tue Nov 9 20:16:41 EST 2004

Michael Nguyen wrote:
> This is unfortunate.  I don't mind not using MailDir (the verdict is still
> out on it.  It's extremely fast for the majority of our uses, but we have
> some insane users who demand to store every joke, every family email, every
> love letter, and every piece of porn spam that they've received from the
> beginning of time.  MailDir would mean that these users (who make up about
> 0.5% of our users, yet use 95% of our space) would throw hundreds of
> thousands of emails *each* into directories in the filesystem.  We haven't
> finished our stress tests to see if that'd be a huge problem yet.
<SNIP>
> Our current setup is mbox as well and it works fine for us.  This part
> wouldn't be the issue with Cyrus.

Just to be perfectly clear, Cyrus doesn't use mbox or maildir. It's a
cyrus-only mail storage format. It's a lot closer to maildir than mbox.

The filesystem you use will make a big difference with either maildir or
Cyrus. I've read XFS is very good for this kind of usage (lots and lots
of small files). We use ReiserFS on Linux and it's been working fine.
Not quite as fast as I'd hoped, but still very good.

Glad to hear you like our pillows, thanks! :-)

--
Jules Agee
System Administrator