Cyrus + LDAP Suggestions/Help

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Nov 10 15:20:28 EST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Michael Nguyen wrote:

>> 'Course, every message IS stored in a plain text file, and folder
>> indexes are easy to rebuild using the reconstruct tool if you need to
>> manually fiddle with a mailbox. Though doing this is NOT "officially
>> recommended," I've never had a problem doing it.
>
> Our current setup is mbox as well and it works fine for us.  This part
> wouldn't be the issue with Cyrus.  The issue is being able to easily specify
> where the mail goes.  We have about 45,000 users and we're growing at a
> brisk pace.  Currently we use a commercial SMTP/IMAP/POP3 daemon, but we're
> looking towards the future and unfortunately what we have is not it.  It's a
> somewhat common request for a customer to want to change their username or
> common that we'll want to migrate a user to a different server.  Doing these
> tasks is very simple in our commercial solution and also using some of the
> other IMAP packages we're looking at.

We use some simple perl scripts to "rename" a user in Cyrus:

http://acs-wiki.andrew.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/CopyMailbox

Then we just delete the old mailbox.  The other step is changing the
username in LDAP as well, obviously.

We have about 35,000 users right now, and while we discourage frivolous
changes to usernames, we do allow changes for obscene usernames (happens!)
and legal name changes.  I wouldn't call username changes "common" here,
but we do at least one a week.

 	Andy