POP3 re-downloading mail

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Nov 8 20:30:10 EST 2004

Warrick FitzGerald wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently switched from an ASP mail provider to hosting a Cyrus +
> Postfix combo. Some of my users are complaining that Outlook keeps
> re-downloading the same emails.
>
> They are using POP3 and have outlook set to leave messages on the
> server. Is it possible that Outlook got confused with the mail server
> change and now somehow can not figure out that it's downloaded emial
> that's have already been downloaded?

If I'm not mistaken, this problem has been discussed serveral times and
has been traced to the fact that Outlook doesn't like the UIDs return by
Cyrus.  Since the UIDs returned are completely legal per RFC 1939, we
have no plans to fix them.

I have not verified that this is indeed the problem, I'm just going from
memory.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127