Cyrus + (insert Best MTA here) Suggestions

lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de
Thu Nov 18 08:23:21 EST 2004

Zitat von Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com>:

> On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 16:31, lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de wrote:
> > - A careful sendmail/milter setup with a strong machine can be faster then
> > Qmail/Postfix with traditional store/forward content filter.
>
> I'm running sendmail 8.13+clamav-milter+spamass-milter and during the
> mornings when I fetchmail from my sever, to be fed to my local MTA, The
> load is quite high. Most likely due to the milters.
>
> I don't get the store/forward content filter meaning.

This means that Postfix is accepting & storing the mail, after that hand it off
to some heavy content filter for processing.

> > - Qmail and Postfix are considered more secure than Sendmail.
> Ditto. but being considered does not necessary mean it is.

You can have a look at the security history ...

> > - Postfix and Sendmail are more flexibel in adjusting to your sepcial
> >  setup.
> I like sendmail maybe because I know of it's Features.
>
> I esp like sendmail after I found the "FALLBACK_MX" feature. (sendmail
> will try to lookup and send direct via recipient MX 1st, if it fails,
> then it goes to the fallback_mx which is most likely the ISP relay)
>
> Does postfix support this?

If you mean trying all available MX
- Until < 2.1 only if the first can not be contacted
- Since 2.1 in every case the first fails

Another choice is fallback_relay

> > No Sendmail guru here, but if you use procmail you have lost on the
> > performance comparsion ;-)
>
> Fedora/redhat by default uses procmail as it's default lmtp.
>
> what do you use then? Is Cyrus considered a LMTP or..?

Postfix can do lmtp native. No need to plug procmail in beetween to invoke
cyrus-deliver to start some lmtp transfer to the Cyrus mailstore.

Regards

Andreas