Cyrus + (insert Best MTA here) Suggestions

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Fri Nov 19 15:53:40 EST 2004

* Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> [1133 18:33]:
> Am Fr, den 19.11.2004 schrieb Dick Davies um 12:53:
>
> > Procmail and sendmail suffer the same disadvantage of being absolute
> > pigs to configure, best to avoid them for that reason alone IMO.
>
> Speaking about Sendmail: this is a myth and prejudice. I don't say
> Sendmail configuration is trivial. But in general setting up, running
> and administering a mail server (MTA + POP3/IMAP) is a very complex
> topic and requires a fair amount of background knowledge.

Of course, but the skills required to maintain a mail system are
unrelated to deciphering .procmailrc.

Cryptic configuration files don't improve your skills as a sysadmin,
they just require you to sprinkle comments over them, or lead to a
'cut and paste' mindset which (again in *my* opinion) lead to less
understanding of your mail system.

I'd prefer not to waste mental energy wrestling with m4 or sendmail.cf,
especially when sendmail has no features that half a dozen
other MTAs can provide with a fraction of the effort.

But we're off topic now I guess...

--
One cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs -- but it is amazing
how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelette. - Charles P. Issawi