Cyrus + (insert Best MTA here) Suggestions

Fredrik Jönsson fjo at nada.kth.se
Fri Nov 19 01:29:53 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 06:45, Wil Cooley wrote:
> Except Sieve can't lose messages, but procmail can.  When a Sieve filter
> breaks, the message just goes to your INBOX.

Actually, this is not 100% true (though close), if a mail is rerouted to
another server which eventually routes it back to the cyrus imap/sieve
server, the cyrus server will silently drop the message because of the
duplicate delivery suppression. Maybe this has changed recently, but I
don't think so.

It's a misconfiguration of the user of course, but non the less
something which happens occasionally on a large system and is hard to
discover for the user. We've had some pretty heated arguments at our
site over this since there is a firm belief that the ideal system should
never loose mail, at least not without notifying someone, but eventually
decided to leave things as is anyway.

Regards,

	/Fredrik Jönsson