messages in imapd.conf

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Nov 18 15:40:05 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Osvaldo Alvarez Pozo wrote:

> Hello
> I have cyrus-imap 2.2.8 configured and running but when it start, it writes
> this to imapd.log:
>
> Nov 18 14:19:00 piscis master[3671]: setrlimit: Unable to set file
> descriptors limit to -1: Operation not permitted.
> Any way cyrus goes up.
> But I want get ride off this message and evidently something is wrong.
> Thanks
> osvaldo

This is a "normal" error message on Linux (at least, maybe other OS's as
well).  Cyrus tries to set the fdlimit to -1 (max).  It will fall back to
setting the fdlimit to your system's max, which usually depends on the
value set by ulimit.  In my cyrus init script, I put:

# Crank up the file limits
ulimit -n 209708
ulimit -u 2048

to increase the fdlimit and process limits before starting cyrus.

 	Andy