POP3 Trouble

Roland Pope rpope at jadeworld.com
Tue Nov 23 19:46:17 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Miller" <jimm at simutronics.com>

> > sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
> >
> > # Allow use of the POP3 APOP authentication command.
> > # Note that this command requires that the plaintext passwords are
> > # available in a SASL auxprop backend (eg. sasldb), and that the system
> > # can provide enough entropy (eg. from /dev/urandom) to create a
challenge
> > # in the banner.
> > #### I'm not sure I understand this option
> > allowapop: yes
Jim,

Try setting allowapop: no or recompiling Cyrus to use /dev/random instead of
/dev/urandom.
As suggested in the allowapop comments, you need to have enough entropy from
your random device to generate the APOP challange, otherwise your popd hangs
until it has read enough random bytes. If you are not using APOP from your
pop clients, you should just be able to turn this option off in impad.conf
and avoid the recompile.

Roland