db4 backend alternative

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Wed Nov 24 14:18:47 EST 2004

> well, db4 was the default... so I thought....
> a well, you got the picture :p
>
> anyways I am using skiplist now, and so far so good.
> but this entire thing does keep me wondering why skiplist isn't the
> default..

I think it's because for some databases, BDB may be a bit better than
skiplist. When I asked last time nobody could really tell me how much
better it is. My plan is to just test it myself on a quite busy server. If
I don't see any real problem, I may switch to skiplist. In fact I may
change the defaults in my rpms to skiplist. You may ask why? Because
almost all questions I get regarding my rpms are related to problems with
BDB, not cyrus-imapd itself.

Simon