how to post to shared folders

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Nov 26 09:59:22 EST 2004

Jochen Staerk wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm using postfix&cyrus and I've some users e.g. "jstaerk", "chanser"
> with their respective folders (user.jstaerk, user.chanser). Now I've
> created a shared top level folder ("usegroup") with jstaerk lrswipcda,
> cyrus lrswipcda and chanser lrswip.
>
> I can move messages into this folder and I assume the other users can
> see them.
>
> The thing is: I have no idea how to post into that folder. Posting to
> "usegroup" results in recipient name rejected, posting to
> usegroup at usegroup.de makes no sense and does not work, posting to
> jstaerk+usegroup at usegroup.de appends to my inbox. I also tried getting a
> usegroup sub-mailbox beneath users.jstaerk and posting to
> jstaerk+usegroup at usegroup.de, but that again delivers into my mailbox.
>
> Do I have to change something in postfix? In cyrus?

By default, you'd send mail to +usegroup at usegroup.de  See the 'postuser'
option in imap.conf

Keep in mind, that unless jstaerk and chanser use SMTP AUTH and Postfix
passes this info to Cyrus, that they still won't be able to post to the
mailbox.  Most folks end up giving the 'p' right to user 'anonymous'.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127