Usefulness of telemetry log of POP/IMAP protocol sessions?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Nov 29 12:09:03 EST 2004

Hi,

--On Montag, 29. November 2004 10:41:57 Uhr MEZ -0600 Mike Partyka
<mike.partyka at stonepath.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to check with this group and see if anybody uses the log
> directory under the cyrus config directory, in our case:
> /var/lib/imap/log
>
> According to the documentation on the Cyrus website, you can create a
> directory with the same name as the user and it will record a telemetry
> log of protocl sessions. I have enabled this for a few users and and just
> trying to see how this could help me track down problems? Does anyone
> else use this feature

sometimes.

> and if so, could you tell me a little about how you
> use this to help troubleshoot problems?

This is invaluable if you need to find out what's going on in cases where
client and server don't agree about the protocol, mostly for IMAP. It lets
you see the actual IMAP commands and responses. There was one instance
where I have used it for POP, because one of our users couldn't login using
CRAM-MD5. Using the telemetry I could see that the server had detected a
protocol violation in the response to the challenge. The client only told
our user that authentication had failed ...

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK