Cyrus logging, /var/log/imapd.log

Marco Colombo marco at esi.it
Mon May 10 11:57:38 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Doug Koobs wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using 2.2.3 and had no trouble with syslogd, I use
> > local6.* instead of
> > local6.debug.
> > By the way local0 through local7 are made available by syslog
> > to applications
> > wishing to have a separate log file (man syslog.conf should
> > tell you more).
> >
> > If local6.* doesn't change anything you should try to restart
> > syslogd using
> > /etc/init.d/syslog restart.
> >

> > Hope this help.
> > françois
>
> Francois,
>
> Thanks for the tip. I changed the lcal6.debug to local.* and restarted
> syslog, but still nothing got written to imapd.log. I read the man page for
> syslog, and it explains what the localx entries are for, but not where they
> are defined. Anyone know where it is determined that local6 is logging for
> cyrus?

Well, you may want to check if your syslog is doing its job correctly first:

$ logger -i -p local6.info "this is just a test"

the message should appear in the right file. If not, you've got a
problem with your syslog configuration.

There is no 'definition' of what goes into which localx, or any other
facility. Applications ask for a certain message to be logged with
a certain facility and a certain priority tagged to it. That's all.

As for where local6 is defined in cyrus:

$ cd cyrus-imapd-2.2.3  # this is the first tree i stepped into
$ ./configure --help | fgrep syslog
  --with-syslogfacility=FACILITY set the syslog facility to use (default LOCAL6)

It's a compile time option you can set with configure.

In some previous releases, LOCAL6 was simply hardcoded if I remember well.

> Doug
>

> Confidential: This electronic message and all contents contain information from Financial Credit Services which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message and all copies.

[what's the purpose to correctly format your message for 80 cols if you
append this single-line statement in the end?] (sorry couldn't resist) B-)

> ---

.TM.
--
     /      /       /			Marco Colombo