URGENT: Naming conflict in Cyrus-IMAP 2.2 vs. leafnode 1.9

Marco Colombo marco at esi.it
Mon May 10 09:51:00 EDT 2004

[recipient list purged]

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Rob Siemborski wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 2004, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>
> > > I appreciate the problems with the namespace conflict, but if we were to
> > > do this for all of our binaries every time a conflict was discovered, I
> >
> > There is one answer for that, which is to prefix everything that is not a
> > service with cyr_ for 2.3, and have all services installed in a separate
> > directory (which is already possible, but it is not strongly suggested or
> > anything).  After all, services are to be run by master, only...

I'm not a big fan of prefixes for executables: we already have
file namespace separation thanks to directories. Not precisely
knowing _where_ to put them is not an excuse. /usr/libexec/cyrus-imapd
seems fine to me. Most executables are neither general purpose
(/usr/bin) nor for sysops (/usr/sbin) as they are required to run
as the 'cyrus' (or whatever) user. Adding /use/libexec/cyrus-imapd
to $PATH for the cyrus user only sounds sane enough. If a command
can be sensibly used by any user, it belongs to the system bin
directory, but the prefix in the name is natural in this case:
cyradm comes to mind, it's so natural that it already has it. B-)

> The problem is more the man pages, really (as it is in this case).

That's close to impossible to solve for developers. It has to be
dealt at package creation time (sed/perl). It's more a deficiency
in the old glorious UNIX man system than anything else.

But recent man executables have provisions to handle this nicely btw,
just few distros fully make use of them. man on fedora has MANPATH
and MANPATH_MAP. MANPATH_MAP fits the separate directory approach well.
Just install manpages in /usr/share/cyrus-imapd/man or something.

Just my 2c.

> FWIW, Bug 2425 is open now to address this.  I'm not sure when a good time
> to do so is, but certainly 2.3 is the earliest possible time.
>
> -Rob

.TM.
--
     /      /       /			Marco Colombo