So far so good. any good way of doing what imapd does for me with address books.

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 5 16:10:26 EDT 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Roberto Leibman wrote:

> I want a solution as portable as IMAP for my address book (and later on
> for my calendar as well). I've been briefly trying to set up LDAP to do
> that, but it quickly started to seem like it was going to be a total
> pain in the neck (do I need different schemas to support different
> clients?) I couldn't get thunderbird or evolution to talk to my ldap
> server, and frankly I confess I don't quite grok LDAP. What are you guys
> using, any ideas?

IMSP or ACAP are the technologies that are supposed to solve this problem,
however, IMSP has only barely deployed and there isn't much client
support, and ACAP more or less never made it out of the development lab.

That leaves LDAP, which is unsatisfying for a variety of reasons (but is a
good first step for the enterprise).

-Rob